Probus walking Trip: Westport / Punakaiki. September 22nd – 24th
Wednesday, September 22nd:
Travel to Westport approx. 3hrs.(Allow 30 minutes for closures on State Highway 6 in the Upper Buller Gorge between the hours of 8am and 5pm 20 - 25 Sept.) N.B. Don't forget to pack or buy a lunch for Wednesday! Also before we set off sort out where
we might meet for a preprandial drink or wine each night!
Meet at the Cape Fowlwind light house carpark 2.00pm for those wanting to walk.
Walk to the light house then on to the seal colony and return. 6.2km -
1. Walk or bike the new Kawatiri trail from the Buller Bridge to Carters Beach which is now open.
2. Walk or cycle the local trails starting at the motels down the Buller River. (See Kawatiri Brochure.)
- Buller Bridge to Carter’s Beach easy ride 12kms includes a magnificent boardwalk section through native bush.
- From Carter’s Beach to the airport, to the west pier of the Buller River, and then back along the golf course to regain
the cycle track back to Westport. 16k including 3k of gravel
- Coal Town Museum: 10.00 – 1600hrs
Evening Meal: Port Side Bistro / Bar 1830hrs 13 Cobden St Down
the end of Palmerston St
1.5km (20min walking) 2min driving - pre dinner drinks somewhere?
Thursday, September 23rd: Travel to Punakaiki Leave 0900hrs. Approx. 50 mins legal driving
Decide on Wednesday night at dinner whether you want to walk 8km, 9km or 11.5km which will determine drop off and pick up points.
Walk the Punakaiki Pack Track and meet back at the Blowholes carpark / cafe. High tide: 12.35hrs, for blowhole observers.
Truman’s Track 4kms north on the way back to Westport and Charleston Loop track also on the way back to Westport. You should aim to be back 1700/1730hrs.
Evening meal: Johnny’s Restaurant 1830hrs 62
Palmerston St 1.3km (16 min walking) - pre dinner drinks somewhere?
Menu is attached: Please choose what you think you might like to order that evening and, by return email, let Peter know. You can change your mind that evening
but it helps the restaurant produce meals in a timely manner for such a large group.
Friday, September 24th: Travel back to Nelson - maybe a short walk at Lyell and the start of the old Ghost road would be a good stopover
to “spread the legs” on the way home.